of the three days and the three nights
Note that the Jewish day at this time began at sunset, so the night proceeded the day.
Wednesday- The Preparation Day, The Crucifixion
- MARK 15:42 And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath [not the day before Saturday, but the day before the special Sabbath, the high day]
- LUKE 23:54-55 And that day was the preparation [which was Wednesday], and the sabbath [Thursday, the special Sabbath] drew on. And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.
- JOHN 19:31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day [which was Thursday] was an high day,)
- JOHN 19:42 There laid they Jesus [Yeshua] therefore because of the Jews' preparation day; for the sepulchre was nigh at hand.
Thursday- The Passover Feasts; First Night and Day in the Grave
- MATTHEW 27:62 Now the next day, that followed the day of ["the day of" is not in the text] the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,
Friday- Mary and others buy and prepare spices; Second Night and Day in the Grave
- MARK 16:1 And when the sabbath [special Sabbath or high day, which was Thursday] was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had ["had" not in the text] bought sweet spices [on Friday], that they might come and anoint him.
- LUKE 23:56a And they returned, [on Friday] and prepared spices and ointments;
Saturday- Weekly Sabbath; Third Night and Day in the Grave, Resurrection
- LUKE 23:56b ....and rested the sabbath day [Saturday, the weekly Sabbath] according to the commandment.
Sunday- First Day of the Week; Resurrection Discovered
- MATTHEW 28:1 In the end of [late on] the sabbath [Saturday, the weekly Sabbath], as it began to dawn [not sunrise but "draw near"] toward the first day of the week [Sunday], came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
- MARK 16:2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week [Sunday], they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun [or, "the sun having risen"].
- LUKE 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week [Sunday], very early in the morning [at early dawn], they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared [on Friday], and certain others with them.
- JOHN 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.
Therefore, the following conclusion;
- Wednesday 3:00 pm to Thursday 3:00 pm = First Day and Night
- Thursday 3:00 pm to Friday 3:00 pm = Second Day and Night
- Friday 3:00 pm to Saturday 3:00 pm = Third Day and Night
Thus, the Resurrection occurred sometime after 3:00 pm on Saturday!